"If you want to know if you're a leader or not, turn around and see if anybody's behind you." - Henry Cloud
- What makes a good leader?
- How important are boundaries in a professional environment?
- Why do people struggle approaching difficult conversations?
- How significant is strategy when building a team?
- What are the key components of emotional intelligence?
Foundations: A Long Road to the Top
Henry Cloud's passion for the human mind sprung from an early age, and he believes that "humans are glued together by character."
As an expert in leadership, Henry has a firm grasp on human behavior. He understands the dynamics of people both in and outside of the workplace when it comes to hierarchical status. His book “Boundaries for Leaders” explores the appropriate behaviors needed when communicating with those around you — a must-read for the players at the top.
Follow the Leader: Leading the Crowd
In this episode, we look at efficient leadership skills such as emotional intelligence and problem-solving. We also ask why people become leaders and how they conduct their behavior when building a team. For Henry, leaders are those that "see something that doesn't exist," with the ability to transform and guide their colleagues.
Henry also believes there are different types of leadership, and each of those leaders present different values. He says, "I've never met a CEO that had all of those strengths: vision, engaging talent, strategy and execution, measurement, accountability and fixing and adapting."
Mr. Worldwide: A Man Who Speaks to All
With his 45 published books and nearly 20 million copies sold worldwide, Henry is dedicated to spreading his knowledge. He's been named in the top 25 most influential leaders in personal growth alongside names such as Oprah, Brene Brown, and Seth Godin.
But Henry's audiences still have to wrestle with difficult questions. In this interview, Henry says that great leaders "chase conflict so they can resolve it to get past that obstacle to the next level." Without obstacles in our way, how will we ever become stronger?
- Lead by example: To be a successful and well-respected leader, make the effort and involve yourself in practice.
- Building blocks: You can't do everything on your own, so hold on to a helping hand.
- Be respectful: Showing respect is a key component to efficient leadership.